Barberton Hot Sauce
Barberton, Ohio is noted for it's chicken restaurants. They all serve hot sauce. They will not give out the recipe. I found this on the internet a few years ago and it is very close. We make this a lot. It also freezes well, you just have to put more liquid in.
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons Crisco
- 1 cup Spanish onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- Perl and dice onion medium fine.
- Dice cellery and bell pepper fine.
- Melt shorting in a large skillet.
- Add onion and saute about 3 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add green pepper and celery and saute about 3 more minutes.
- Add entire can of tomatoes and tomato juice. Stir until distributed evenly
- add sugar, pepper and salt.
- crush red pepper between fingers and add to mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- rinse rice under sieve until water runs clear.
- add rice to pan and stir to distribute evenly.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until rice has cooked and absorbed most of the liquid, add more tomato juice if needed. (rice needs to be a little soupy).
- taste and adjust seasonings to taste.