Banana Oatmeal Muffins (Or Bread)
photo by CookinDiva
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (I use 1 C. flour and 1/4 C. Quinoa or whole wheat flour)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup banana, ripe, mashed (2 medium bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 (350 if you are making a single loaf so the large inside area has time to bake). Spray pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix topping ingredients together. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices). Note: I've used half Splenda mix for the sugar with great results.
- Separately, in a 2 cup measure, combine all liquid ingredients (buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and banana).
- Pour liquids into dry ingredients. Use a spatula to gently combine.
- Fill 12 muffin tins to the rim (or 36 mini-muffins, or one loaf pan). Sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake 375 degrees for 16-18 minutes (12 minutes for mini-muffins and 45 minutes at 350 degrees for a single loaf). Use toothpick test to make sure there's no wet area in the middle.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!