Banana Cardamom Cake (Or Cupcakes) (Ww)
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (ground, I used about 7 cardomom pods crushed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (I used 3/4 c1 % milk with 1 T lemon juice)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- To make cake: whisk together dry ingredients (flour - salt) in a medium bowl.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together remaining cake ingredients (banana - vanilla).
- Gradually add wet mixture to dry, stirring until blended.
- Pour batter into pan (9x13 sprayed with Pam) or into paper lined muffin tins (makes about 18 cupcakes). For cake bake 30-35 minutes; for cupcakes bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Remove to cooling rack and let cool.
- For frosting: in a medium bowl and and electric mixer on high speed, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth and then with a spatula frost cake or cupcakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was going to make the cupcake option but we ended up having company and I make it as a layer cake. The dinner guests were neighbors and they know all about needing to take pix before anything is eaten so no problems getting the pix. Anyway, it got 5 star votes around the table. Mine turned out looking more like a white cake than banana which surprised me but it sure tasted good and thats more important than the color any day. Thanks for posting ellie. The cake was almost wiped out at one sitting!
A wonderful recipe! For some reason, cardamom was WAY too much $--so I subbed a with combo of cinnamon & nutmeg. The next time I made them, I just used cinnamon! I used my "jumbo muffin" pan to make nice sized cupcakes, then tried some heart shaped dishes the next time. They bake up well! The frosting was a bit problematic for me--I had to really whip it to smooth out the lumps in the cream cheese, then put it in the fridge to chill so it would spread easier. Once the cupcakes cooled, then we frosted them as we ate. After a day in the fridge they tasted even better. thank u so much for sharing!
What a delicious cake! I ended up using 3 bananas and 1/2 teaspoon of extra cardamom as I wanted the flavor to really stand out. So moist and tasty, my husband inhaled it! The cream cheese frosting just made it that much better. Thank you for posting this as I will certainly be making this cake again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>