Bacon and Potato Soup
photo by Linajjac
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 quarts vegetable stock or 2 quarts water
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole grain mustard (one spiked with horseradish is wonderful)
- Cook bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat until crispy.
- Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes, until tender.
- Add salt and pepper, thyme sprig, rosemary sprigs, and bay leaf.
- Add potatoes and garlic, and mix well with bacon and onions.
- Add stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and mustard; stir to blend.
- Remove bayleaf and purée about 1/2 of the soup in a blender.
- Mix blended soup with the rest of the soup.
- Adjust seasonings.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with chopped scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sooo good!! We really enjoyed this soup. The bacon gives a lot of flavor. We liked the addition of the spicy mustard. I wondered if that might be too many potatoes, but after you puree half the soup you have just the right amount of potato pieces in there. This was very easy to make. We will have this often this winter!! Thanks, Miss Annie for another keeper!
Miss Annie: I knew I would get back to your cuisine sooner or later. No surprises! Absolutely wonderful. DH and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it does freeze well. Separates a bit when defrosted, but that is easily rectified by either whisking or giving it a few whirls with a stick blender. Thanks again. Can't wait to try more of your creations.
see 6 more reviews