Apple Chestnut Stuffing
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a great stuffing for turkey or chicken but would also go well with pork. From Christine Cushing Live. *NOTE*: time for roasting the chestnuts is not included. Have them ready when you start.
- Ready In:
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter (45 ml)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted quartered prune (125 ml)
- 1⁄4 lb chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped (112 g)
- challah, broken into bite sized bits (1/2 small loaf, day old)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 cup calvados (or brandy, 60 ml)
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (250 to 375 ml)
- 3 spartan apples, cored, peel on, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary (5 ml)
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- butter, for casserole dish
- In a large skillet over high heat, melt butter until just golden brown.
- Add the onions and sauté on high, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté for a further 5 minutes until onions are very soft then add the sliced garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add Calvados and 1 cup chicken stock, cook covered, on medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add the apples and herbs and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and butter a casserole dish.
- Combine the bread, chestnuts, prunes and apple mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- If mixture has absorbed all the liquid, add the remaining 1/2 cup of stock.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake covered, until lightly golden on top and hot throughout, 30 to 40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION