American Goulash, Aka Calico Casserole
photo by BriarCraft
- Ready In:
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Brown ground beef with celery, onion, and pepper. Drain accumulated grease.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- If serving this as American Goulash, stop here. You're done.
- For Calico Casserole, turn into a 3-quart casserole, and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Variation 1: Add 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes in Step 3. You may also need to add another 1/4 cup of water.
- Variation 2: Substitute 2 cups mixed vegetables for the corn and peas. Or substitute any other vegetables you have on hand.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Member since 2003, when it was RecipeZaar.