Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Das Grosse Buch vom Backen; for zaar tour 6. I was translating German so I hope this is right, lol. Coasty helped with that dratted metric.
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 50 ml water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 100 ml milk, scalded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 700 g flour
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Saute onions in sesame oil until golden.
- Proof yeast in warm water with sugar.
- Scald milk; add butter; add the yeast mixture when warm.
- Add flour and celery salt.
- Knead; add onions and oil; knead until smooth.
- Put in greased bowl.
- Cover; let rise until doubled.
- Form into rolls.
- Put on greased cookie sheet; let rise until doubled.
- Mix 1 cup water wth 1 teaspoon baking soda; this mixture is usually used on soft pretzels to give brown color; brush rolls.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush rolls a second time after 30 minutes rising.
- Bake 15 minutes or until done.
- One recipe says 15 minutes; one says 35 minutes.
This made a light and soft roll. But I only got 6 smallish rolls from this recipe. Also used about 100ml of milk to produce a nice soft dough. Made for ZWT6