Sourdough Rye and Onion Rolls (Pistolet Style)
A sourdough variation of Recipe #416868. Preparation time doesn't include the starter preparation.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 16mins
- 50 g sourdough starter (1/4 cup)
- 45 g bread flour (1/3 cup)
- 125 g rye flour (1 cup)
- 175 g water (3/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 onion (finely chopped)
- 356 g bread flour (2 3/4 cup)
- 143 g water (5 oz)
- 9 g salt (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 9 g instant yeast (1 tablespoon)
- 9 g sugar (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 20 g oil (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Mix sponge and let ferment overnight at room temp (72F).
- Mix all other ingredients and let sit for 5 to10 minutes.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Stretch the dough and fold letter-style from top to bottom and side to side.
- Cover and let rise until 1 1/2 times its volume (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Divide into 12 even pieces (80 g each) and shape into balls.
- Dust the balls lightly with flour (I use a sifter).
- Press a straight spoon handle or dowel into the rolls to divide the rolls but not completely into two pieces.
- Cover rolls with oiled plastic and let rise until 50% larger (abut 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake for 8 minutes then rotate 180°F Bake another 8 minutes or until 200F internally.
- Cool on rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Fantastic rolls that we've enjoyed twice today. Great for BLTs at lunch and then perfect for burgers at dinner. I made as written. My scales show increments of 5 grams, so my finished dough weighed in at 1020 grams, giving me 12 rolls of 85 grams each. I used a floured wooden spoon handle to make the impression in each roll, and could have pressed a little to get the same result shown in your pic. Forgot to dust with flour and could have baked just a tad longer than recommended, but my oven has been a little iffy lately so that is most likely the reason. Love the onion is these and look forward to making them again soon.Reply