Caramelized Onion Rolls With Herb Butter
Serve these lovely baked rolls with herb butter or your favourite butter recipe and watch them disappear. Also good plain, they are always the first to go at dinner.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt, coarse
- 1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 large vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped,divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour, all purpose,divided
- Herb Butter.
- Combine in a small bowl, softened butter with 1 tbsp each of finely chopped, fresh parsley and thyme.
- Mix well, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine milk, 1/4 cup butter, oil and salt in pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil then remove from heat and cool.
- Pour warm water into small bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add remaining 2 tsps of butter to frying pan and melt over medium low heat.
- Add onions and cook 20 minutes until browned.
- Take pan off heat and cool onions.
- Once the onions are cooled chop and set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together 1 egg, 3 tsps parsley, thyme, milk and yeast mixtures.
- Stir in 3 cups flour until just combined.
- Stir in remaining flour slowly until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead dough 3-5 minutes on a floured surface.
- Form dough into disk.
- Add half of the chopped onions ontop of the disk.
- Fold disk in half and knead in onions.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
- (45- 60 minutes).
- Punch down the dough.
- Cut dough in half with knife.
- Cut each piece into four pieces.
- Now cut each piece into thirds.
- You should have 24 pieces when finished cutting.
- Roll each piece into 7" long rope.
- Spiral each rope, pinching the end into the roll to seal.
- (should look like a small danish).
- Place on baking sheet, cover and let rise until almost double in size.
- (20-30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly beat remaining egg and brush over rolls.
- Top with remaining onion and parsley.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with herb butter and enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What an exhilarating release of gases! A smooth, soft-textured and robust flavored yeast bread that was easy with which to work. Mine looked a tad like puff babies and I had feared the 'bread-baking' gene had skipped two generations succinctly...or maybe this time I just held my tongue just right. Made for A-NZ #36 Recipe Swap.Reply
see 14 more