Recipe by Tisme
I found this recipe in the paper, it's a Jeremy Vincent recipe and have just got to try this. A no-cook spread made with zucchini, onions, chives, cream cheese and roasted red capsicums - can be served as a dip or spread with crackers, bread or vegetables . This will be fantastic to use up the zucchini over summer, and will be a big bonus if the family don't know it has zucchini in it. Plan ahead as the spread takes at least four hours, or preferably overnight to refrigerate and set.
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 zucchini, grated (medium size)
- 1 onion (small finely)
- 1 bunch parsley sprig, fresh
- 1 bunch chives, fresh
- 85 g cream cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (extra)
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red capsicum, roasted & coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put wine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a zip-top bag.
- Seal and carefully manipulate the bag to mix the contents.
- Add grated zucchini to the bag along with the chopped onion.
- Seal bag and toss to coat the vegetables with the marinade, re-open the bag and squeeze out all the air and seal again.
- Let bag sit for 1 hour to release any excess water.
- Line a colander or bowl with cheesecloth. Pour the zucchini into the colander, then bring up the corners of the cheesecloth, and twist to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer zucchini and onion mix to a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add a handful of parsley sprigs and fresh chives. Process until smooth. Add cream cheese, extra salt and a generous dash of white pepper. Process again until combined.
- Add roasted red capsicums and pulse just until the peppers are reduced to small flecks.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.