Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Robin Hood Home Baking cookbook. These freeze well and are great to pop into school lunches. An equal amount of peeled, grated apple can be substituted for the zucchini.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Using two knives, a pastry blender, stand mixture or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping. Stir in baking powder and salt into remaining mixture.
- Beat eggs, milk and zucchini in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter; pat down gently.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
We really enjoyed these very moist, spicy zucchini muffins, great flavour. I added a teaspoon of pure vanilla to the milk, egg, zucchini mixture.