Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These is a quick, light side dish that is great for using up extra zucchini from the garden. If used as a vegetarian main dish it is great served with a salad or a rice pilaf.
- 4 cups grated zucchini (about 2 pounds or 6 medium squash)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten or 1⁄2 cup pureed tofu
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pounded in a mortar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- olive oil, for frying
- sliced cherry tomatoes, if desired (optional) or grape tomatoes, for topping if desired (optional)
- Toss the grated zucchini with a teaspoon of salt and set it aside in a colander while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Then rinse the zucchini and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Toss the zucchini with the eggs, chives, garlic, parsley, marjoram and lemon zest. Stir in the bread crumbs along with the pine nuts and capers. To check the seasonings, fry a dab of the mixture, then taste it for salt and pepper, and season the batter accordingly.
- Put a very thin layer of olive oil into a skillet. (I use two skillets so I cook them faster.) When hot, add the batter in 1/2 cup measures. Spread the batter out a bit and cook over medium heat until golden. You can also make smaller individual cakes using less batter for each skillet cake. When one side is golden, turn and cook the second side. Serve right away or keep warm in the oven until all are done.
- Top with halved cherry or grape tomatoes, if desired.
WOW! We loved these: a great blend of flavours. :) I'm readily won over when a recipe is as lemony and garlicky as this one and certainly loved the inclusion of the pine nuts and capers; and easy-to-follow instructions are always appreciated. On this occasion, we enjoyed these with lamb chops. They'd be a great accompaniment with any meat dish. Certainly a recipe I'll make again. Thank you for sharing it.
This is one of the better zucchini cakes I have had! Full of flavor with capers and pine nuts-YUM! Thanks! Made for Zaar Tag.