Recipe by KLHquilts
From July 2007 issue of Cooking Light
Top Review by Transplanted English Rose
DH gave it a 5, and "very tasty". I thought it was missing something but still very good. I used spicy sausage, more sauce and fusilli, but it didn't need the extra liquid. I'd make it again and maybe try adding some herbs. Woohoo, another squash gone!
- 2 1⁄2 cups ziti pasta (uncooked)
- 8 ounces chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups onions, vertically sliced (about 1 onion)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded,)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 5 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan. Heat oil in pan. Add zucchini, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and zucchini begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute. Combine zucchini mixture, pasta, sausage, and feta cheese in a large bowl; toss well.
- Spoon pasta mixture into an 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.