Moroccan Chickpea Chili
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to pan; cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, and next 7 ingredients (to ground red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water tomato paste, chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and juice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Absolutely wonderful! I reconstituted dry garbanzos to cut down on the sodium. I didn't have any cilantro...but I did have spinach. I put a couple of handfuls in the pot after it had finished cooking...just to let it wilt. There was enough leftover for tonights dinner...so I am adding the cilantro when I reheat. Thank you so much for this really yummy dinner.
Wow, what a super yummy, spicy chili!!!! It was soooo good! The different spices go really well together and make for a flavour experience, that is very special. I especially liked the cinnamon in this. As I dont like celery that much, I simply left it out and used a little more carrot to compensate for it. Your directions were spot on and everyone enjoyed this chili a lot. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it here with us, Umberle. We will make it again. Made and reviewed for one of my babies in PAC March 2010.