Prep1 hr 30 mins
Too much zucchini? Try this wonderful relish and enjoy your zucchini year round. It is really good on hotdogs or hamburgers. The yield is a guess, as I always at least double this recipe.
- In a food processor, finely chop zucchini, using an on/off motion.
- Put zucchini in a large bowl.
- Finely chop onions in food processor.
- Add to zucchini in the bowl.
- Remove seeds from, and finely chop peppers by hand.
- Add to bowl.
- Sprinkle everything with salt.
- Stir to blend.
- Let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Drain off liquid.
- Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Drain, pressing out liquid.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, celery seed, pepper, and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the drained zucchini mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until thickened and zucchini mixture is tender.
- Combine water and cornstarch.
- Add to zucchini mixture.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until clear and thickened.
- Seal in sterilized bottles and process in a water bath for 5 minutes.
- How I sterilize bottles: Wash bottles well in hot soapy water.
- Dry them.
- Put a cookie sheet in the oven, with the bottles on the cookie sheet, right side up.
- Heat oven to 225F.
- Leave bottles at this temperature for 10 minutes.
- Turn off oven.
- Leave bottles in there until you need them.