Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am adding another zucchini recipe from the past. I have long forgotten exactly where it came from. Actual prep time will depend on how much time you spend shredding your cheese. Save money and shred you own. Save time and buy it already shredded.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (2 cup) can tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 large zucchini, sliced but unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cook until rice is tender.
- Add 1 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Cook zucchini in small amount of water until tender, about 7 miutes.
- Into a 2-quart baking dish layer 1/2 of meat mixture, then well drained zucchini, Monterey Jack cheese and remaining 1/2 of meat mixture, sour cream and top with 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in 350 oven.
Great dish - my coworkers wanted to steal my supper away and devour it themselves. I used 3 cups diced tomatoes canned, used instant brown rice, mozz for the monteryey and asiago for the 2nd amt of 1/2 cup of chdr chz. My sour cream was bad so subbed in plain yogurt. I didn't cook my zucchini as per recipe but decided a few mins in microwave to soften up and could have cooked it more but a bit of crunchy zuke was okay in the dish. Recipe didn't say how long to cook at 350 so I did it for 35 mins
I had a zucchini from the garden to use so I figured I would give this recipe a try. I figured we would like it but I was surprised that everyone loved it and there wasn't any left. I followed the recipe except that I used all cheddar cheese and used a can of tomato sauce instead of the sour cream. I finished the dish up on the grill and had cooked it for 30 minutes. We will be making this again.
Very tasty! I chose this recipe b/c I had a zucchini as well as a partial can of rotel and half pound ground beef to use up. So I made a half recipe which gave me 3 pretty large servings. I used plain long grain white rice and it cooked perfectly. It was really very good. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.