Recipe by Southern Lady
I came up with this recipe after starting with a basic ziti recipe I found off another website. I began adding a few more ingredients and less of others and ended up with a keeper. I've baked in my toaster oven during the warmer months. If you use your T.O. reduce baking time by 10 minutes or casserole will be on the dry side. It's an easy Italian comfort food - Hope you enjoy!
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef (90/10 works best)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cream or 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups prepared/commercial spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare oven at 350 degrees.
- Cook ziti according to package instructions, reducing the time by 5 minutes (this is important or pasta may be overcooked after baking casserole).
- Meanwhile, saute chopped onion with ground beef in 10-12" skillet until beef is browned.
- Add minced garlic to meet mixture and cook on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain Ziti and leave in colander for the time being.
- Combine drained mushrooms, sour cream, grated parmesan, half& half, spaghetti sauce, red wine, oregano, salt, and pepper to the beef mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in ziti to the meat mixture until all ziti is coated with mixture.
- Pour into an ungreased 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake 35-40 minutes (or until bubbly and lightly golden brown on top).