1 hr 15 mins
This is a zesty North African soup. The chicken can be served in the soup or reserved for other uses. If you'd like a leaner soup, omit the oil. Instead of sauteing the onion and chicken, simply add them to the water and continue cooking the soup as below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 kg chicken pieces (legs, thighs or wings)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- 250 -300 g ripe tomatoes or 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 pale green squash or 2 zucchini, diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup long-grain rice or 1/2-3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley or 1/3 cup coriander
- cayenne pepper
- 1Heat oil in a large, heavy soup pot or stew pan.
- 2Add onion and saute over medium heat until golden.
- 3Add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute 7 minutes.
- 4Add water, tomatoes, garlic, paprika and turmeric and and bring to a simmer.
- 5Skim foam from surface.
- 6Cover and simmer 45 minutes, skimming fat occasionally.
- 7Add squash and cook for 10 minutes or until zucchini and chicken are tender.
- 8In a separate saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil and add salt.
- 9Add rice and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- 10Drain well.
- 11Rinse with cold water if cooking it ahead, and drain well.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Chicken Soup with Tomatoes and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (681 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.4
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 156.2 mg
- Sodium 159.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 41.4 g