Zesty Chicken Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I found this recipe in Celebrate the Rain - the Junior League of Seattle's cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds delicious.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored, peeled, and coursely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- plain yogurt (to garnish) or sour cream (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender and aromatic, about 3 to 5 minutes,then add the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the curry and sauté for 1 minute, then add the chicken, red bell pepper, ginger, and red pepper flakes and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and apple and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the orzo and currants to the soup and simmer until the orzo is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper and ladle it into bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
- You can make the soup a day ahead up to step 4 and cover and refridgerate it and then bring it to a simmer before you continue.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION