Recipe by KathyP53
This was originally a "light" recipe from Cooking Light. Sorry, I like it better unlightened! This is my version.
Top Review by Erindipity
I love this recipe. I have been making the light version for months and have no complaints. In fact when serving to guests they never would have known it was light. I also take the sauce and use it for all types of other dishes like Mac and Cheese or a cauliflower casserole. I would say if you are looking for a low fat side dish, this is a great option.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- cooking spray (buttered flavored is best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadbrumbs, or regular breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange broccoli in an even layer in an 11 x 7" baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine milk, flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Bring boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick; stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and cream cheese; stirrin until smooth. Stir in mayo, onion, and water chestnuts. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over broccoli.
- Place panko in a small bowl. Drizzle with butter and toss. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over cheese and broccoli mixture. Lightly spray breadcrumb mixture with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble and breadcrumbs brown.