Zesty Broccoli Casserole
This recipe is originally from Cooking Light magazine. I have made a few changes to it to suit our tastes. It's delicious! This is a great way to get your family to eat veggies.
- Ready In:
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- cooking spray (I use olive oil in a Misto)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Arrange broccoli in an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine milk, flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and cream cheeses; stir until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise and onion. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over broccoli.
- Place panko in a small bowl. Drizzle with butter, and toss. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over cheese mixture. Lightly spray breadcrumb layer with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble and breadcrumbs brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Thanks for sharing this great side dish! We all liked this a lot however next time I would use half the mayo and twice the cheddar - our personal preference! :) I halved this recipe and we still have some leftovers for tomorrow. I liked the crunch of the panko! Made for Kittencal's Green tag. Thanks Realtor! :)Reply
I am surprised I haven't rated this dish before. I have the same recipe from Cooking Light and love it. In fact, I often use the cheese sauce for other dishes. I have not made any changes other than to use fresh broccoli when I have it in the house. This dish also freezes well. Make as directed (through step 2), place in the pan or ziplock bag and freeze. To cook, simply thaw and bake as directed.Reply
Very nice recipe. I used as a side to roast chicken. I followed the recipe nearly exactly... I did not have panko breadcrumbs and made my own instead, and it came out wonderfuly well! Great flavours and loved the cheese taste combined with the mayonnaise. Will be making this again, the family enjoyed this recipe and this is such a great and different way to serve broccoli. Thanks Realtor great recipe.Reply
see 3 more