Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Big flavors from a quick, hearty soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in a small dice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the chorizo and onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, water, both types of beans, tomatoes (with juice), potato, carrot and oregano (plus red pepper if using).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
I followed the recipe with these changes, I used black beans instead of kidney beans, added a little bit of ground cumin, one chipotle chile minced with about a tablespoon of the adobo sauce, and garnished it with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro. It was easy to put together and delicious. If you can't find chorizo, you could use some other spicy smoked sausage instead. Thanks Susie for a great recipe.