Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
There was a restaurant famous for these in Nebraska, actually they were famous for all their desserts. These were always a family favorite and I've had the recipe for many years. This calls for 9 eggs and no it is not a misprint !
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 9 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350, grease 9x13 pan.
- For the bottom layer, cream butter and 2 cups of sugar.
- Add cocoa and 4 eggs.
- Mix thoroughly on low speed.
- Add 1 cup flour and 1 tsp vanilla, mixing again.
- Pour into pan.
- For the top layer, in a clean bowl mix cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups sugar on high until smooth.
- Add 5 eggs and mix on low speed.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup flour mix again.
- Pour this over chocolate layer, swirling a bit to give it a zebra effect.
- Bake 45 minutes or until center sets.
These are AWESOME!! I used to make them all the time and then lost the recipe. I am so happy to have it back. I'm from Omaha so when I make them everyone thinks I bought it from the restaurant. ;)
Oh my gosh! These brought back some good memories. I haven't been to Garden Cafe in probably 15 years, but my mom used to buy these for us all the time. Made these for my sister and I and we absolutely loved them! Thanks so much. I'll be making these for my mom when she comes into town this weekend, I know she'll love them as much as us!
Thanks for posting this. I am from Omaha and these brownies are the best. Now, I can make them too! It was easy. I made them for a Christmas party and they were a hit! Very good.