Cook1 hr 30 mins
Southwestern flavors and Monterey Jack cheese come together in this rich, creamy gratin.
Make and share this Yukon Gold Gratin With Chilies, Cilantro and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large poblano chiles
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 1⁄2 lbs medium yukon gold potatoes (peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices) or 3 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes (peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices)
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro (coarsely chopped fresh cilantro)
- 2 cups chicken broth (canned low-salt)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso anejo or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- additional chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Char chilies over gas flames or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chilies.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle garlic over bottom of dish.
- Arrange 1/4 of potatoes in dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then with 1/3 of chilies and 1/3 of cilantro.
- Repeat layering of potatoes, chilies and cilantro 2 more times, seasoning potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Top with potatoes.
- Pour broth over, then cream.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Tent dish with foil.
- Bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheeses over potatoes.
- Bake until liquid thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.