Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Recipe is from the "Dairy Book of Home Cookery," by Sonia Allison. I believe the book is out of print and collectible. nt
- 1 lb flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce english butter or 1 ounce welsh butter
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 2 ounces currants
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1⁄2 pint lukewarm milk
- Sift flour and sugar into bowl and rub in butter.
- Add sugar and currants, tossing together lightly.
- Blend yeast with milk.
- Add all at once to dry ingredients, mixing together until dough is firm.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and leave to rise for 10 minutes. Knead well again, dividing into 6 pieces, then roll into 6" rounds.
- Cover and leave to rise until almost double in size.
- Bake just above centre of preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes.
- To serve, split open and spread thickly with butter (Can be split open and toasted before buttering).