Recipe by threeovens
Traditionally, gyros are served with a mild white yogurt dill cucumber sauce called tzatziki. This is a variation for a change of pace.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
A long time ago I printed out a recipe that appeared in the July 2006 edition of Bon Appetit, entitled, "Pork Gyros with Yogurt-Tomato Sauce, Red Onion, and Arugula." I made the gyros two nights ago for dinner. This recipe, posted by Ice Cool Kitty, is the recipe for the sauce portion of the recipe. It was very good and paired well with the grilled pork. Very nice flavors. I would definitely make this again. I just posted the recipe for the pork gyros that go with this sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt, greek style
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper