Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This very good recipe was given to me by Nell Haberstick, a former neighbor, who is now 93 and has moved to a retirement home. We miss her... and her recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash, washed and quartered
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, as desired
- 1⁄2 lb sliced cleaned mushroom
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine, melted
- 1 package pepperidge farms salad dressing mix
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add squash and onion to about 2 quarts boiling salted water, and cook for 3 minutes, add grated carrots, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly, return to pan over low heat for 2 minutes to dry our, and coarsely mash.
- Add soup, pimentos, and mushrooms.
- Stir to combine Combine melted butter with dressing mix.
- Press 1/3 of dressing mix into bottom of a greased or nonstick sprayed 2-quart casserole.
- Add 1/3 of dressing mix to squash, season to taste with salt and pepper, and fold in gently, but thoroughly to combine.
- Turn squash mixture into casserole.
- If desired, combine optional Parmesan cheese with remaining 1/3 of dressing.
- Cover squash with remaining 1/3 of dressing.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- This recipe may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake, in which case, bake for 40-45 minutes.