Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful dish to take to family gatherings or just to have as a side dish. My family loves it. I don't make it often but when I do it is a huge hit.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs yellow squash (sliced)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 20 saltines (crushed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted) or 3 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (reserve 1/4 cup)
- salt & pepper
- Cook squash and onion in water until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients with squash.
- Bake in a 400* oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese.