Recipe by Derf
A hearty soup to take the chill off on a cold winter day.
Top Review by Jenny Sanders
Ahhhh! Just the thing for a chilly January day. I am sitting here in a happy pepper/garlic glow (although, really, this is a fairly subtly spiced recipe.) Like all peas soups, this is better re-heated. I needed to add a bit more salt, probably because I used homemade, unsalted, chicken stock.
- 2 medium white onions, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups yellow split peas, about 1 lb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the onion in a large non stick saucepan over medium low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onion is wilted and translucent.
- Add the garlic, stir and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the split peas, then the seasonings, hot sauce and the broth.
- Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, until the soup is fairly thick.
- Remove the cover and stir well before serving.