Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
There are a number of similar recipes here, but this one, I feel, really features the potato ingredient! The original of the recipe was found in the Nov 2003 cookbooklet Crisco Best Recipes -- Year-Round Holiday Magic.
- 680.38 g sweet potatoes, scrubbed, quartered lengthwise & cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces (or yams)
- 44.37 ml cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml sweet pickle relish
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml red bell pepper, finely chopped
- In a large pot, steam prepared yams 10 to 15 minutes or until tender, then remove from steamer.
- When cool enough to handle, peel yams (if desired; I don't), then place in a large salad bowl.
- While yams cool, combine vinegar, pickle relish, mustard, salt & pepper in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, & shake well.
- Add vegetable oil & shake again, before pouring over yams & tossing them to coat.
- Add green onions & red pepper & either serve at room temperature or chilled.
BEST POTATO SALAD EVER!!! :D Oh my gosh. I used dill pickle relish because thats all I had, and I added a pinch of sugar, but other then that, I made it exactly as directed. This is going straight into my Best of 2012 cookbook!! Thanks!! :D
I got only three servings from this recipe - we really liked it a lot. I omitted the relish, and subbed raspberry vinegar for the cider, as I had none of the later. I probably would use just a bit less vinegar next time. I also did not need to use all of the dressing. This is a great and different way to use sweet potatoes, great for summer picnics.
Great salad to go with our burger. Made half the recipe for one sweet potato. Will make less dressing next time. First time steaming sweet potato, mine took more than 15 min.