Thai Yam Salad
I got this recipe from a coworker. She brings this salad to all the potlucks. Everyone always devours it with raves! Everyone always wants the recipe and she was happy to oblige. Wonderful flavors! She has since moved on and so I am posting it here so I don't lose it. It is written exactly as she provided. I am going to have to look up the red pepper sauce she uses and make it to figure out the amounts. Then I will edit the recipe with more exact directions.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 -3 large yams, baked until tender then cubed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 scallions or 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 (5 ounce) bottle thai red pepper sauce (the bottle with the rooster on the label)
- Mix dressing together.
- Pour over other ingredients; mix well.
- Serve chilled or warm.
- Cooking time is for baking the yams.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was super delicious, but I have to admit I did not add a whole bottle of hot sauce! I subbed some sweet chili sauce, but might also add a fresh jalapeno next time to it as well. I also used half the soy sauce and only a half tablespoon of oil. In addition, I used Mexican pumpkin seeds at half the quantity - and they were perfect with it. That and the ginger really make this, but all the flavors together do blend so well and are very balanced. We made this as an entree salad and it served 2-3. This is a standout!
First a warning: If you do not like spicy, look elsewhere. If you are serving small children, look elsewhere. If you are fond of blandness, then definitely look elsewhere! :) This dish is INCREDIBLY spicy. We had tears running down our cheeks, our sinuses were cleared for the next year, and we were guzzling milk. BUT! The adults at my house practically bowed down at my feet after eating this. After one bite, they said it was 5 stars. After 2 they asked when they could have it again. I am not as big a fan of heat, but I couldn't stop eating it, either. Beyond, through, and after the heat, this dish has a lovely balance of flavors which I loved. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting. Made for ZWT4, but I WILL be making this again!