1/1 Photo of Yam and Apple Soup
Sydney Mike's Note:
The original of this recipe came from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995, but has been tweaked a little.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- 3/4 lb yam, peeled, diced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1In Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, cook the cumin over medium heat, shaking & stirring pan frequently, until it is fragrant & toasted, 4-5 minutes.
- 2Add diluted chicken broth, apple juice concentrate, yams, apple, onion, pepper & cinnamon, then cover.
- 3Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low & simmer until yams & apple are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Transfer soup to food processor or blender & puree.
- 5Return mixture to pan & add milk, then Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- 6Ladle soup into bowls, top with yogurt & sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yam and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.7 mg
- Sodium 223.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 4.7 g