Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this recipe came from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995, but has been tweaked a little.
Top Review by duonyte
This was delicious and easy to prepare. I decided to omit the apple juice concentrate and found the soup to be the right level of sweetness without it. I did end up adding a little curry powder to the soup, it just seemed to round out the flavor a bit more, and I might try a little thyme or sage next time - it seemed to need just a bit of something extra. I should add that this made just two servings for me, but we really love our soups!
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- 3⁄4 lb yam, peeled, diced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped or 1 tablespoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, cook the cumin over medium heat, shaking & stirring pan frequently, until it is fragrant & toasted, 4-5 minutes.
- Add diluted chicken broth, apple juice concentrate, yams, apple, onion, pepper & cinnamon, then cover.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low & simmer until yams & apple are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer soup to food processor or blender & puree.
- Return mixture to pan & add milk, then Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with yogurt & sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.