Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from a Weight Watchers Cookbook. Use two spoons when dropping your dumplings: one to scoop up the dough the other to push the sticky dough into the soup. Once you add the dumplings, don't allow the soup to come to a boil, or the dumplings will fall apart.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2⁄3 cup diced celery or 2 celery ribs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots or 3 medium carrots
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (32 ounce) container reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; saute 10 minutes or until tender. Add chicken, broth, water, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- 2. While soup simmers, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, rosemary, and salt into a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixtures resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist.
- 3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls into simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook over low heat 11 minutes (do not let soup boil). YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 3 dumplings).