Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are a number of shepherd's pie recipes out there and this recipe takes the best elements and creates, what I believe to be the World's Best...
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup corn niblets
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel potatoes and slice into 1" cubes and add to medium sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer until soft.
- In large skillet, add onions, garlic and 3 tbsp butter and saute until translucent.
- Drain water from potatoes and add 3 tbsp butter, heavy cream, cheddar cheese and salt. Whip until smooth and creamy.
- Add ground beef to onions and garlic and brown thoroughly.
- Add flour and onion soup mix. Mix well and cook for 2 -3 minutes. Add broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and cayenne pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Add vegetables and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour meat and vegetable mixture into casserole dish and top with mashed potato mixture. Place in oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
I have tried several Sheperd's Pie recipes - looking for the right one - I don't have to look any further. This is terrific!!! I made a couple of changes, used ground chicken and chicken broth instead of beef. I also cut down on the cayenne pepper and the flavor was fantastic. Thanks for posting. This is going straight to my favorites book!
first shepard's pie Ive ever made. I thought it was excellent. However the rest of the family found it a little on the spicy side. So for all those who aren't big fans of spicy I suggest you ease up on the cayenne pepper, I personally like spicy food but thought I'd drop a warning to others. Great recipe chef!
Great recipe. This version of Sheperd's Pie is a significant improvement over the one we used previously. This one packs a lot more flavor.