Cook1 hr 20 mins
Goes great with roast turkey, chicken, salmon, or trout. An impressive dish to have when guests arrive. Very hearty eating.
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth ok)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Place rice in a strainer or sieve and rinse with cold water for about 1 minute, scouring rice with fingers; drain.
- Place rice in a saucepan with the broth and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
- If when tender, any liquid remains, drain it.
- Cook the mushrooms, onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in butter in a skillet until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix together the rice, vegetables, and cheese, and spread in a greased 2-quart casserole.
- Cover the pan and bake at 325F for 35-45 minutes or until the casserole is heated through nicely.
- Garnish with toasted almonds before serving.