1/1 Photo of Wild Rice Casserole
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Goes great with roast turkey, chicken, salmon, or trout. An impressive dish to have when guests arrive. Very hearty eating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth ok)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1Place rice in a strainer or sieve and rinse with cold water for about 1 minute, scouring rice with fingers; drain.
- 2Place rice in a saucepan with the broth and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
- 3If when tender, any liquid remains, drain it.
- 4Cook the mushrooms, onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in butter in a skillet until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Mix together the rice, vegetables, and cheese, and spread in a greased 2-quart casserole.
- 6Cover the pan and bake at 325F for 35-45 minutes or until the casserole is heated through nicely.
- 7Garnish with toasted almonds before serving.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 172.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: