Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. Nov 2003.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I didn't have wild rice on hand and replaced it with black rice aka forbidden rice. The black rice doesn't take as long to cook as brown rice does therefore I cooked it separately and stirred it into the brown rice just before serving. Fresh parsley and chives from the garden gave the rice additional flavor and color. This side dish complemented Recipe #81921 and oven grilled crookneck squash quite well.
- 4.92 ml butter
- 59.14 ml finely chopped onion
- 591.47 ml water
- 177.44 ml long-grain brown and wild rice mix (such as Lundberg's)
- 2.46 ml salt, divided
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh chives
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml chopped walnuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water, rice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, chives, juice, and oil. Sprinkle each serving with walnuts.