1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Please to the Table, posted for ZWT IV
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces dried wild mushrooms, well rinsed (preferably porcini)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 slices French bread
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- parsley, for garnish
- 1In a small saucepan, simmer the mushrooms in 2 cups of water till soft, about 40 minutes.
- 2Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon. Strain the cooking liquid through a coffee filter and set aside.
- 3Pat the mushrooms dry with paper towels and finely chop.
- 4Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and saute, stirring, for 15 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Stir in 1/4 cup of the reserved mushroom cooking liuid and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- 7Stir in the creme fraiche or sour cream and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the garlic and season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- 9Simmer for 2 more minutes and remove from the heat.
- 10Preheat oven to 350.
- 11Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- 12Add the bread slices and lightly brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- 13Heap some of the mushroom mixture on each bread slice. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushrooms on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.0
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.2 mg
- Sodium 1232.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 20.2 g