Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Please to the Table, posted for ZWT IV
Make and share this Wild Mushrooms on Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces dried wild mushrooms, well rinsed (preferably porcini)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 slices French bread
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- parsley, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, simmer the mushrooms in 2 cups of water till soft, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon. Strain the cooking liquid through a coffee filter and set aside.
- Pat the mushrooms dry with paper towels and finely chop.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and saute, stirring, for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the reserved mushroom cooking liuid and simmer for 2-3 minutes more.
- Stir in the creme fraiche or sour cream and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 2 more minutes and remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bread slices and lightly brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Heap some of the mushroom mixture on each bread slice. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.