Recipe by CountryLady
This recipe originates in Nova Scotia which is the "blueberry capital" of Canada and was published in the Canadian Living magazine! Its easy, moist & absolutely delicious with a light orange glaze, served with ice cream or solo. It can also be made with "cultivated" berries.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
Country Lady - this is one of my favourite cakes, I have taken this to work for our 'treat days' several times and I always take copies of the recipe along!! It is a moist, scrumptious cake!I love orange peel and I usually grate a little extra to add to the glaze too. YUMMY!!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated orange rind
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease& flour a 10 inch bundt pan or angel food cake pan& set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy; add egg yolks, one at a time, followed by orange rind.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form; beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until glossy peaks form and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder& salt into another large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture, alternately with orange juice, making 3 additions of dry& 2 additions of juice to make a stiff batter.
- Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remainder; fold in 2 cups of the berries.
- Scrape into prepared pan& smooth top.
- Bake in center of preheated 350F oven for 45- 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean; transfer to rack& cool for 20 minutes.
- While cooling make the glaze: bring sugar& juice to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring continuously; boil hard for a minute, then allow to cool.
- Loosen cake from edges of pan, place a rack over the pan& turn the cake out onto the rack; place a sheet of foil beneath the rack, brush the cake with the glaze& allow to cool.
- Transfer the cake to a flat serving plate, fill center with remaining berries& dust lightly with icing sugar.