Wild Blueberry Cake
This cake is wonderful served with lemon ice or vanilla-bean ice cream. Yummmmy...My mil's east coast recipe. This very special cake is worth the effort to make.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine sugar
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime rind, grated
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1 cup lemon juice or 1 cup lime juice
- 3 cups wild fresh blueberries (use fresh only)
- 1⁄2 fine sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a bundt pan, dust with flour, set aside.
- Beat butter, 1 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy.
- Next beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Mix in orange, lemon and lime rinds.
- In fresh bowl beat eggs whites till soft peaks form.
- Mix in remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until peaks become firm.
- In a small bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix flour mixture into butter mixture alternating with the orange juice.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Fold in egg whites and add 3 cups of blueberries.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven at 350 degrees for 45- 55 minutes.
- Let cake cool on rack in pan for 20 minutes.
- While waiting for cake to cool prepare glaze.
- In a small pan bring sugar and juice to a boil for about 2 minutes, stir and let cool.
- Remove cake from pan, place cake on rack and brush on glaze-- allow cake to cool before serving-- enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made with peaches and blueberries. Using a 1/4 cup of Recipe #101039 and 3/4 cups regular sugar. I was in a rush so when I inverted the cake to soon it fell apart. Oops! But didn`t hurt the flavor. I got to sneak a taste of the pieces that stuck to the pan. Thanks! Almost forgot I made the glaze with powdered sugar a touch of Grand Marnier and OJ mixing together and no cooking.