Recipe by **Mandy**
A great low-fat snack from Healthy Foods Mag Australia!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these with the soft, chewy flavorful Medjool dates & rolled the dough out enough so that I'd be pretty sure to get at least a dozen scones (actually got 14!), & used a cutter that was slightly less than 2" in diameter! We had some very tasty scones & a recipe worth keeping around! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 250 g dried pitted dates
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 40 g low-fat margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200.C.
- Spray a baking tray with cooking oil.
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over dates and allow to soften for approx 10 mins before draining & chopping.
- Sift flours with icing sugar & salt into a bowl.
- Rub in margarine with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add dates and make a well in the centre then add egg.
- Stir lightly with a knife and add enough milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and cut dough into 5cm rounds.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with a little milk before baking for 15-20 mins or until golden.