Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is very different from the usual zucchini loaves. First of all, it bakes into a round loaf and contains wheat. This is one of my favorites. One of my former neighbors used to bake a lot of items with wheat flour, and this is one of her own creations that she shared with me. Thanks Carol! Prep time allows for shredding the zucchini (I use my food processor).
Top Review by Kree
What a delicious bread! It's so moist that it's hard to believe it doesn't have a drop of oil or butter in it, and the spices give it a great flavor. My father, who isn't usually a fan of healthy foods or whole wheat, has been eating it non-stop! The directions were simple and easy to follow. The only change I made was to use soy milk soured with lemon juice in place of the buttermilk. I'll definitely be making this again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 egg whites (you may use egg substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh zucchini, unpeeled, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9" round baking tin with nonstick spray and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir together both types of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of this mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy (not too much- just foamy, NOT to make a meringue).
- To the egg whites, add applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla and stir using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the zucchini until well combined.
- Pour this wet mixture into the"well" you made in the flour mixture and stir just until ingredients are all moistened and gently combined- press out any large lumps with your spoon, but don't overmix.
- Gently fold in the nuts, if using,- don't overmix or you will have tough bread.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.