Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just recently started eating Coach's 'steel-cut, cracked and toasted' Oats and it's got me hooked. It's nutty and full of flavor. The original recipe from the package the brown sugar is packed and the table salt is regular salt. Please note that I'm not sure how this will work with regular oatmeal. The number of cookies will depend on the size you make them. Okay, I bought another brand of 'steel-cut' oatmeal to see if there was a difference. There was enough difference in the texture, flavor, cook-time and overall quality (to me) that I recommend you use the Coach's brand for this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups coach's 'steel-cut' oats
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter.
- Add both sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and half the flour. Beat to combine.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Add oats, pecans and cranraisins.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
I love Steel Cut Oatmeal cookies, but while this recipe is OK, I have always soaked/boiled the oats ahead of the cookie recipe, and this method makes a chewier cookie overall,while being the most healthy as well.
I also sometimes soak the raisins in Bourbon for about an hour, which adds a bite to the cookie as well. Very yummy cookie;)
I just posted a great review and forgot to mark off 5 stars. Sorry if it skews your rating. Great recipe!!! :)
I made these cookies today. They were pretty good and flavorful. I used Bob's Redmill steel cut oats. I soaked the oats for about an hour and then drained them, but I think next time I will soak them for between two and three hours. They were still too hard. Overall, a tasty and kind of healthy cookie.