Recipe by ann hugo
This is a fruitcake with a new twist to an old favorite...this recipe was given to me by a lady in 1972..can put in a can and cover with cheese cloth and pour your favorit wine over it and let it soak in the cake , you will love this so special fruitcake ..if you dont like fruitcake you will go wild with this one sosso good..
Top Review by susanpv
This is the exact recipe my mother in law handed down to me in 1972. Instead of wine, I believe she used cognac or brandy for her soaking. It is by far, the best recipe for homemade fruitcake. Going to make a few for this Christmas. Definitely best when made 2 months ahead, and kept in a tightly sealed tin.
- 5 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 lb butter, salted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 lb candied cherry, chopped
- 1 lb candied pineapple, chopped
- 4 cups broken pecans
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- cream butter well,add sugar,and cream until fluffy.
- beat eggs well and add,blend with creamed mixture.
- chop fruit and nuts and mix with a small amount of the flour.
- sift remaining flour.
- fold into creamed mixture.
- add flavoring.
- fold in fruits and nuts.
- line a tube pan or loaf pans with greased wax paper.
- pour in batter.
- put in a cold oven and bake at 200 degrees for 3 hours.
- loaf pans for 2 1/2 hours.
- cool in pan on rack.
- or bake at 300 degrees until done,about 1 1/2 hours, or until it shrinks from the pan.
- This cake can be frozen, it makes just a little less than 5 pounds, No liquid other than the flavorings is needed.