Recipe by kelly in TO
I love love love this. I serve it over cooked mixed brown basmati and wild rice, topped with plain yogurt and plenty of cilantro, mmm cilantro.
Top Review by Gingernut
This was tasty, but it wasn't chili to me. It was more of a southwestern-flavoured cabbage and chicken stew. But that's ok, I was just looking for a way to use up some cabbage, and some chicken! I wound up draining it, and wrapping it in tortillas as a burrito filling. With cheese and sour cream, it was delicious. Very healthy (except for all the cheese and sour cream LOL).
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- chopped cilantro
- nonfat sour cream or low-fat plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet heat oil over medium high heat,.
- Cook cabbage, garlic, onion, carrot and jalapeno pepper, if using, for 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Push vegetables to side of pan; add chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve with any of the optional toppings over cooked rice, if desired.