Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love love love this. I serve it over cooked mixed brown basmati and wild rice, topped with plain yogurt and plenty of cilantro, mmm cilantro.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- chopped cilantro
- nonfat sour cream or low-fat plain yogurt
- In a skillet heat oil over medium high heat,.
- Cook cabbage, garlic, onion, carrot and jalapeno pepper, if using, for 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Push vegetables to side of pan; add chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve with any of the optional toppings over cooked rice, if desired.
This was tasty, but it wasn't chili to me. It was more of a southwestern-flavoured cabbage and chicken stew. But that's ok, I was just looking for a way to use up some cabbage, and some chicken! I wound up draining it, and wrapping it in tortillas as a burrito filling. With cheese and sour cream, it was delicious. Very healthy (except for all the cheese and sour cream LOL).