1/1 Photo of White Cheddar Corn Chowder
From Martha Stewart Living
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 6 ears of corn)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 2Add celery, and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- 3Add coriander, cumin, and cayenne. Raise heat to medium-high, and add wine.
- 4Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add potatoes, stock, and milk, and bring to a boil (skim any foam from surface).
- 6Reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add corn, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat. Transfer 2 cups soup to a blender. Let cool slightly, then puree. Return puree to pan, and stir.
- 9Reheat if needed.
- 10Season with salt and pepper. Pour into bowls, and top with cheese.
- 11Chowder can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Cheddar Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 10.7 mg
- Sodium 609.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 9.3 g