Recipe by Anne Sainz
There are several versions of this recipe on the web. I pulled them together and made some changes so it works better with a Nutritarian eating style.....For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional).
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, white part only, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canlow-sodium small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen chopped spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan (at least 5 quarts), add all ingredients but spinach.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until fennel is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add spinach and cook 3-4 min longer or until spinach is wilted.