Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
I always love this in the fall, and I add lots of extra cilantro. Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home.
- 3⁄4 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless, cubed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 30 ounces white beans or 30 ounces kidney beans or 30 ounces cannellini beans, rinsed and drained and divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and jalapeno and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with oregano and cumin and cook 1 minute longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 3 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended.
- Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir before serving.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired.