Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A hearty, fiber filled soup that was created to satisfy a need for a tomato-less soup. This will be a meal with a loaf of rye bread and some fresh fruit for dessert.
- 14 ounces dried navy beans, soaked as directed on the package
- 1 1⁄4 ounces Lipton Recipe Secrets savory herb with garlic soup mix
- 6 cups water
- 3 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium white potato, unpeeled, chopped
- 2 cups frozen leaf spinach, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- Rinse and drain dried beans, after soaking as directed.
- Add water to a large stockpot, add dry soup mix and stir to blend.
- Add the instant chicken boullion and blend.
- Add the beans, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bean mixture and bring to a boil, and return to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer gently until beans and veggies are tender.
- This would work well in a crockpot also after the beans are prepared as directed on the package.