Chef Kate's Note:
This is adapted from a Thomas Keller recipe which uses Brie de Meaux and Tellicherry peppercorns. It is, for those of us mortals who have neither item at our fingertips, quite delicious with plain old good quality brie and freshly ground black pepper. Another recipe which looks long and complicated, but it is really pretty simple and can be done in bits, and then assembled at the last moment before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the figs and wine in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until most of the Port has reduced, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 2Remove from the heat and reserve.
- 3Remove the rind from the Brie; you should have about 8 ounces left.
- 4Put the cold cheese into a mixer with a paddle attachment and beat at medium speed, scraping down the sides from time to time, for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is very white and creamy; beat in the pepper; this can be refrigerated until you are ready to assemble the 'stack.'.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- 6Drizzle about one-eighth teaspoon of balsamic vinegar over each slice of baguette in a thin line, brush lightly with oil on both sides and cook each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 7Brown the bread in batches.
- 8Remove from the heat and reserve (the bread can be stored in a plastic bag or container until needed).
- 9For each serving put a slice of toasted bread ('crouton') on the plate, then angle a quenelle (an oval of cheese shaped with two spoons) of Brie over the crouton.
- 10Top with a second crouton and another quenelle of Brie, then another crouton. Place about a tablespoon of the fig compote and a sprinkle of sea salt next to the stack and serve immediately.
- 11Serve the six 'stacks' immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whipped Brie Appetizer With Peppered Fig Compote
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 791.0
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 1526.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black mission figs